2018 $1 AlBr Uncirculated Coin in Card Invictus Games Sydney 2018
Latin for ‘unconquered’, Invictus describes the spirit that drives wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women to overcome adversity and compete at the Invictus Games. In 2018, Australia hosts the Invictus Games, where these brave athletes who have overcome life-changing events, will share with us their challenges and triumphs. In partnership with the Invictus Games Foundation, the Mint is honoured to present this officially licensed commemorative coin.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
“I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.” These charismatic words from “Invictus” by William Ernest Henley in 1875 timelessly describe a determination to overcome life-changing events. In 2018, Australia hosts the Invictus Games where wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women will show us their hearts, challenge us, and share
with us their triumphs. Introduced by His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales in 2014, the Invictus Games have grown in only four years to become a real beacon of inspiration for the world. This unique coloured $1 coin is the perfect memento of this historic event and is sure to appeal to the sports-minded collector. The Royal Australian Mint is deeply honoured to be involved in this outstanding exhibition of true courage, as supporters, licensed program partners, and medal suppliers of the 2018 Invictus Games.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Blister packed coin in presentation card, struck to the Royal Australian Mint’s uncirculated standard
• Coin design incorporates unique Braille text ‘Sydney 18’ - a first for the Royal Australian Mint
• Coin design combines skillfully created sculptural elements with innovative colour print technology
• Officially licensed product of the 2018 Invictus Games
• Coin’s obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II designed by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender.
• Coin design commemorates a unique world event, held previously in London, Orlando and Toronto
• Strictly limited to a mintage of 30,000